Sunday, October 28, 2007

Home from Hawaii!

I recently returned from the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii and what a whirlwind it's been! I desperately need to update you on the trip, but for now I'll leave you witha few intriguing thoughts (mainly because I don't have time to write a race report right now :-).

On this trip I learned a lot about myself and the person I strive to be. While training in Kona I got to meet some of the most amazing people in the sport including Sister Madonna Buder and Scott Binzer. While I also met all the pros and big names of Ironman, it was Sister Madonna and Scott who made me realize why I'm in Kona, and why I continually strive to push myself further and harder.

Making it to Kona is about the journney of self discovery. I looked back on training rides and runs where I was discouraged because I didn't hit my marks, and started to realize it's those workouts that make you stronger. They made me realize that I am blessed with an incredible ability and I should be thankful to be out with my friends and family enjoying the experience. I realized that instead of battling with myself throughout these workouts, I need to embrace the experience. Breathe in the air and look around. I am blessed with a great ability and I am going to take full advantage of it. Scott Binzer looked at his injury not as a setback, but as an opportunity, and now he has become the first double amputee to ever complete and Ironman. It has made me realize, in all aspects of life, that anything is possible that you set you mind to!

No comments: